International Journal of Environmental Protection
International Journal of Environmental Protection(IJEP)
Editorial-in-Chief: Prof. Kevin Mickus,Missouri University of Science & Technology, USA.
|Seasonal Variations in Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Almatti Reservoir of Bijapur District, Karnataka State
|Full Paper(PDF, 249KB)
|Almatti reservoir is one of the major perennial water resource located at about 63 km away from Bijapur is mainly used for drinking and irrigation. Monthly and seasonal variations of physico-chemical characteristics were studied from February, 2003 to January 2005 to study the various ecological parameters such as rainfall, humidity, air and water temperature, pH, electrical conductivity, dissolved oxygen, free carbon dioxide, total alkalinity, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, chloride, nitrate, phosphate, sulphate, bicarbonate, total dissolved solids. The study revealed that there exists seasonal fluctuations of the factor and from data it was also apparent that various correlations between the factors could be seen. However, it is obvious that the absence of significant difference between sampling stations for all these parameters in the Almatti reservoir indicated fairly homogeneous conditions and the water quality is also found to be homogeneous. Study also indicated that the water is quite suitable for irrigation and pisciculture.
|Keywords:fresh water reservoir; Seasonal variations; Physico-chemical parameters; Almatti reservoir
|Author: S.B. Hulyal,B.B. Kaliwal
- P.K Goel, R.K. Trivedy, and S.V. Bhave, “Studies on the limnology of a fresh water bodies in southwestern Maharasthra”, Indian J. Environ. Prot. 5(1), 19-25. 1985.
- S.M. Karikal, “Limnobiotic study on the Bhutnal reservoir from Bijapur area”. Ph.D. thesis, submitted to Karnatak Univ. Dharwad, 1995.
- S.A. Abbasi, K.S. Bhaliya, Kunhi, A.V.M, and R.S.Soni, “Studies on limnology of Kuttadi Lake (North Kerala)”, Eco. Env. Cons., vol 2, pp.17-27, 1996.
- D.N. Singh, “Seasonal variation of zooplankton in a tropical lake”, Geobios. 27(2-3), pp.97-100, 2000.
- Y. Shastri, and D.C Pendse, “Hydrobiological study of Dahikhuta reservoir”, J. Environ. Biol., 22 (1), p.67-70, 2001.
- B.N. Sunkad, “Studies on biodiversity of wetlands with special reference to the physico-chemical factors”, thesis, submitted to the Karnatak University, Dharwad. 2002.
- M.S. Hujare, “Hydrobiologial studies on some water reservoirs of Hatkanangale Tahsil (Maharashtra)”, thesis, submitted to the Shivaji University, Kolhapur. 2005.
- APHA, “Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Waste water”, American Public Health Association. Inc. New York. 18th
- G.E. Hutchinson, “A treatise on Limnology Vol.-I. Geography, Physics and Chemistry. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. p. 1015, 1957. Ed, 1991.
- G.S Carter, “Tropical climates and Biology”, Nature (Lond.), 187, p.843, 1960.
- R.G. Wetzel, Limnology, W.B. Sunders Company Pub. Philadelphia, London, Toronto 740, 1975.
- M. Munawar, “Limnological studies on fresh water ponds of Hyderabad, India II. The Biocoenose, distribution of unicellular and colonial phytoplankton in polluted and unpolluted environments”, Hydrobiologia., 36, pp. 105-128, 1970.
- S.M. Jain, Meenaxi Sharma and Ramesh Thakur, “Seasonal variations in physico-chemical parameters of Halali reservoir of Vidisha district”, India. J. Ecobiol. 8(3), p 181-188, 1996.
- B.K.Baruah, A.C. Das, S. Talukdar, and C.R Borthakur,. “Certain water quality parameters and plankton population in ponds of urban and rural areas”, Environment & Ecol., 16(4), p 881-884, 1998.
- V. Kannan, and S.V. Job, “Diurnal depth wise and seasonal changes of physicochemical factors in Sathio reservoir”, Hydrobiologia, 70, pp 103-117.1980.
- V.G. Jhingran, Fish and Fisheries of India. Hindustan Publishing Corp. (India) Delhi, 1982.
- P.S Welch, Limnology, McGraw Hill Book Company, New York, Toronto and London, 1952.
- Shyam Sundar “Monitoring the water quality in a stretch of river Jhelum, Kashmir”, Ecology and Pollution of Indian rivers. Ashish Publishing House, New Delhi, India, pp. 131-162. 1998.
- M.S. Nair, Rajendran, “Seasonal variations of physico-chemical factors and its impact on the ecology of a village pond at Imala (Vidisha)”, J. ecobiol 12(1), p .21-27. 2000.
- D.L. King, “The roll of carbon in eutrophication”, Journal of Water Pollution Control Federation, 42, pp. 2035-2051, 1970.
- P.N.Goel, A.Y. Khatavkar, A.Y. Kulkarni, and R.K. Trivedy, “Limnological studies of a few freshwater bodies in southwestern Maharasthra with special reference to their chemistry and pollution”, Poll. Res., 5M (2), pp. 79-84, 1986.
- A. Kumar, and E.N. “Siddiqui Quality of drinking water in and around Ranchi”, I.J.E.P., 18(5), pp. 339-345, 1997.
- Deo Namita and Manzoor Ali “Water quality of a mining area in Keonjhar district for drinking and agriculture”, I.J.E.P., 13(9), p. 652-658.1993.
- H.C.Kataria, S.A.Iqbal,and A.K. Shandilya, “Limno-chemical studies of Tawa reservoir”, IJEP, 16(11), p. 841-846, 1995.
- L.J.Bhosale, A.B. Sabale, and N.G. Mulik, “Survey and status report on some wetlands of Maharashtra”, Final report submitted to Shivaji University, Kolhapur India, 1994.
- Prasanth Arun, V. Subba Rao, Kothandaraman, Jothi Kumar and S. Narasimhan, “Evaluation of physico-chemical and bacteriological quality of water from temple tanks in and around Madras city”, Indian J. Env. Prot., 16(7), p. 494-498, 1996.
- H.P. Singh, “Studies on primary production in Gobindsagar reservoir, Himachal Pradesh”, J. Environment. Biol., 19(2), p. 167-170, 1998.
- Dadhich Neeru and M.M. Saxena, “Zooplankton as indicators of trophic status of some desert waters Bikaner (N-W Rajasthan)”, Journal of Environment and Pollution, 6(4), pp. 251-254, 1999.
- R.G. Wetzel, Limnology, II. Ed. Saunders College Publ. New York, 1983.
- B.D.Huddar, “Hydrobiological studies in lentic fresh water bodies of Hubli”, thesis, submitted to the Karnataka University, Dharwad.1995.
- M.B.Rao, Mukhopadhyay and E.V. Moley, “Seasonal and species of zooplanktonic organisms and their succession in two freshwater ponds at Wagholi, Poona”, Proc. Symp. Ecol. Anim. Pool. Zool. Suve. India, 2, pp. 63-84, 1981.
- H. Kaur, S.S. Dhillon, K.S. Bath, and G. Mandar, “Interrelationships between physico-chemical factors at Harike wetland (Punjab-India)”, Journal of Environment and pollution, 4(3), 237-240, 1997.
- B.N. Sunkad, and H.S. Patil, “Physico-chemical characteristics of Fort lake of Belgaum (Karnatak)”, Abst. Nat. Symp. Karnatak Univ. Dharwad, pp.68, 2001.
- Ahmed Masood and R. Krishnamurthy, “Hydrobiological studies of Wohar reservoir, Aurangabad (Maharashtra State)” India. J. Environ. Biol., 11(3), p. 335-343, 1990.
- R.K. Gaur A.A. Khan, and A. Alam, “Oxygen system dynamics of the pond harbouring a permanent bloom of a cyanobactyerium, Microcystis aeruginosa”, J. Ecotoxicol., Environ. Monit., 5(1), p. 71-76, 1995.
- M. Ali, and A.A. Khan, “Limnological studies in a sewage fed pond”, J. Zool., 4, pp. 341-355, 1979.
- Fasiuddin and Jyotsna Kumari “Seasonal variation in physico-chemical properties and plankton periodicity in a fresh water fish pond at Bhagalpur, India”, Environment & Ecol., 8(3), p. 929-932, 1990.
- Kant, Shashi and Anil Raina “Limnological studies of two ponds in Jammu II physico-chemical parameters”, Journal of Environmental Biology, Muzaffarnagar-251001, India, 1990.
- J.B. Moyle, “Some indices of lake productivity”, Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 76, p. 322-334, 1949.
- D.F. Jackson, “Comparative studies on phytoplankton photosynthesis in relation to total alkalinity”, Verh. Int. Ver. Limnol., 14, pp.125-133, 1961.
- D.K. Harshey, A.K. Shrivastav, and S.G. Patil, “Studies on the ecology of fresh water ostracoda part II population ecology in Balsagar tank, Jabalpur M.P”, India. J. Curr. Biosci., 4(4), p. 127-134, 1987.
- H. Kaur, K.S. Bath, G. Mandar, and N. Jerath, “Physico-chemical status of Kanjli wetland (Punjab-India)”, Journal of Environment and pollution, 7(1), p. 39-42, 2000.
- Y.Shastri and D.C.Pendse, “Hydrobiological study of Dahikhuta reservoir”, J. Environ. Biol., 22 (1), p. 67-70, 2001.
- K.S. Bath and H. Kaur, “Seasonal distribution and population dynamics and rotifers in Harike reservoir (Punjab-India)”, Journal of Environment and Pollution, 5(4), pp. 249-252, 1998.
- S.S. Sathe, Suresh Khabade and Milind Hujare “Hydrobiological studies on two man made reservoirs from Tasgaon Tahsil (Maharashtra) India”, Ecol. Env. And Cons. 7(2), p. 211-217, 2001.
- ISI “ISI specification for drinking water IS: 10500: 1991”. Indian Standard Institution, New Delhi, 1991
- K. Raghavendran, “Quality assurance for drinking water mission to village”, Ecology, 6(8), pp.13 – 25, 1992.
- Saify Tayyab, S.A. Chaghtai, Parveen Alvi and Durrani, “Hydrology and periodicity of phytoplankton in the sewage fed Motia pond, Bhopal (India)”, Geobios., 13(5), p. 199-203,1986.
- Rao, Narendar and S.K. Mahmood, “Nutrient status and Biological characteristics of Hubsiguda pond”, Journal of environment and Polln., 2(1), p. 31-34, 1995.
- S. Naik, and K.M. Purohit, “Physico-chemical analysis of some community ponds of Rourkela”, I.J.E.P., 16(9), p. 679-684, 1996.
- Kumar Arvind, “Pollution in River Mayurakshi in south Bihar, India”, J. of Environment and Pollution, 2(1), p. 21-26, 1995.
- A. Sreenivasan, “The limnology, primary production and fish production in a trophical pond”, Limnol. Oceanogr., 9(3), pp. 391-396, 1964b.
- C.R. Goldman, and A.J Horne, Limnology, Pub. McGraw Hill Inc. Japan, pp. 1-464, 1983.
- S.Khurshid, Zaheeruddin and A. Basheer “Pollution assessment and water quality status in parts of Cochin”, I.J.E.P. 18(4), p. 246-249, 1997.
- L.C. Rai, and H.D. Kumar, “Systematic and Ecological studies on algae of some habitats polluted with fertilizer factory effluents near Shahapuri, Varanasi”, India. Nova Hedwigia, 27, p. 807-811, 1976.
- L.R. Bhat, P. Laccoul, H.D. Lekhak. and P.K. Jha, “Physico-chemical characteristics and phytoplankton of Toudah lake, Kathmandu”, Poll. Res., 18(4), p. 353-358, 1999.
- B.N. Pandey, A.K. Mishra, A.K. Jha, and R.N. Lal, “Phytoplankton population of the river Mahanda, Kotihar, Bihar”, Environ. & Ecology, 11(4), p.936-940, 1992.
- R.K. Sinha, “Evaluation of pollution water quality and carbon cycling from hydrobiological parameters in river Ganges in and around Patna”, Doctoral thesis, Patna Univ. India, 1986.
- R.S.A. Beauchamp, “Sulphates in African inland waters”, Nature, 171, p. 769-771, 1953.
- Pushpendra and M.N. Madhyastha, “Seasonal variation of certain chemical parameters in soil-water phases in a small pond along western India”, J. Ecobiol., 6(4), p. 311-313, 1994.
- G. Seenayya, “Ecological studies in the phytoplankton of certain freshwater ponds of Hyderabad India-II The phytoplankton”, Hydrobiologia., 37, p. 55-58, 1971.
- R.K. Gaur, A.A. Khan, and A. Alam, “Oxygen system dynamics of the pond harbouring a permanent bloom of a cyanobactyerium, Microcystis aeruginosa”, J. Ecotoxicol.,Environ. Monit., 5(1), p. 71-76, 1995.
- Paka Swarnalatha and Rao Narsing “Interrelationships of physico-chemical factors of a pond”, J. Environ. Biol., 18(1), p. 67-72, 1997.
- ICMR, “Manual of standards of quality for drinking water supplies”, Indian Council of Medical Research Rep., 44, p. 27, 1975.